Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
andee's world: 1,000 Coffins They Don't Want Us to See

andee's world

Hello and welcome to my blog. This space will be devoted to opinions, observations, lists, articles and whatever else I feel like posting. Subjects will include music, human nature, politics, life in NYC, etc. If I paste someone else's writing up here, it is because the author said something way better than I ever could. By the way, I don't claim to be a particularly smart guy; I'm just a musician with some opinions. If you disagree with me, that's cool -- but then, you're probably wrong.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

1,000 Coffins They Don't Want Us to See

I just read that we've crossed a milestone today -- 1,000 Americans have now been killed in Iraq.

All I can think about is my younger brother, who joined the Army years ago when he was 17. He didn't join because he had any clear-cut political opinions; he was just a troubled kid who needed some structure in his life. It was either the Army or jail. The Army was good for him -- he did his four years and got out with some discipline and a few valuable skills. Thank god his timing was lucky.

I think of all the impressionable young men and women who joined the service because basically they had no other recourse in life. There was little or no opportunity for them at home, so why not? Many were recruited. They thought it sounded like a good thing to do -- "serve your country!" They signed up and were sent off to war because it was their job and furthermore, they trusted their commander in chief. Did anyone tell them that the bullshit documents used as "evidence" of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq were fraudulent? No. Many of them were just like my brother -- aimless, politically ignorant kids who got pulled into the machine. What a fucking shame.

A thousand of them dead now. A thousand coffins the president won't let us see. A thousand funeral services he has not attended.

My parents are Republicans. How would they feel if their son was in one of those coffins? How would they feel if the president they will vote for this November were trying to hide their dead son from public view? What if it was their son whose life was used up for this pointless game? Used up and swept under the rug.

One thousand dead Americans and 10,000 dead Iraqis. And the president doesn't want you to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home