Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
andee's world: Just 'Cos You Got the Power

andee's world

Hello and welcome to my blog. This space will be devoted to opinions, observations, lists, articles and whatever else I feel like posting. Subjects will include music, human nature, politics, life in NYC, etc. If I paste someone else's writing up here, it is because the author said something way better than I ever could. By the way, I don't claim to be a particularly smart guy; I'm just a musician with some opinions. If you disagree with me, that's cool -- but then, you're probably wrong.

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Just 'Cos You Got the Power

Motorhead's Lemmy -- he's walking rock and roll. He's Rock and Roll with capital R's. He's cut from the purest cloth there is. Authentic, intelligent, witty and tough as nails -- Lemmy's a true original.

One of Lemmy's favorite lyrical topics is injustice -- which means he'll never run out of material, no matter how long he continues to write songs.

One of my favorite Lemmy lyrics is "Just 'Cos You Got the Power," a relatively obscure track from the Rock n' Roll era. The song was originally released as a B-side on the "Eat the Rich" 12-inch (around 1987, I believe) but it's been digitally resurrected on the Stone Deaf Forever box (highly recommended) and the band have been including it in their live sets in recent years (which makes me incredibly happy). There's a cool live version of it on the No Sleep At All disc, as well...

Anyway, the words to "Just Cos You Got the Power" are more pertinent now than ever, don't ya I think? Check 'em out:

You might be a financial wizard,
With a sack of loot,
All I see is a slimy lizard,
With an expensive suit,
Go on and run your corporation,
Go and kiss some ass,
You might buy half of the nation,
But you can´t buy class

You bastards think it´s funny,
Lyin´ and thieving all your life,
Think all there is is money,
Got your future strapped up tight,
Just ´Cos You Got The Power,
That don´t mean you got the right

You can take my fingers babe,
You can take my eyes,
You can take my past and future,
It won´t make you wise,
You can have me thrown in jail,
You can steal my booze,
You can even read my mail,
Step on my blue suede shoes,

You bastards must be clever,
Got it mapped out in black and white,
But don´t forget you´ll never,
Get a dog to walk upright,
Just ´Cos You Got The Power,
That don´t mean you got the right

Go on out make another deal,
Feed your big fat face,
Go on out and cop a feel,
Get on somebody´s case,
You surely would be satisfied,
If you could have it all,
But time ain´t on your side,
You´re going to the wall

You think that life´s all dollars,
Greed and lust and spite,
But I wasn´t born to follow,
Like to get my sleep at night,
Just ´Cos You Got The Power,
That don´t mean you got the right


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd love to read this to Dick Cheney -- THRU A MEGAPHONE -- as he drifts off to sleep at night. Oh, but wait -- he can't possibly sleep, can he?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, you're a newcomer to the world of Motorhead?
Here are Andee's Top 5 Places to Start:


1. Overkill (1978); their second album is just chock full of early Motorhead classics including "Damage Case," "Stay Clean," "Metropolis" and the title track, which is simply one of the greatest things ever recorded.

2. 1916 (1991); some of Lem's funniest lyrics ever can be found in "I'm So Bad (Baby I don't Care)" and a surprisingly poignant side of the man is revealed in the war elegy "1916"; inbetween are nothing but high points (including "R.A.M.O.N.E.S," a roaring tribute to the 'bros).

3. No Sleep Til Hammersmith (1981); Motorhead's first live album captures the classic original lineup at their peak, which doesn't mean it's not sloppy. Recorded very loud and well into the red.

4. Bastards
(1993); One of the heaviest Motorhead records, which is saying a bit. And it's pretty much wall-to-wall great songs, too. This one doesn't get talked about enough.

5. Inferno (2004); Yes, their latest album kicks ass!! Check out "Smiling Like a Killer" and "Fight" for evidence.

Drink beer and play loud. Motorhead enriches your soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home